JACK LONDON & POCS :
NEW DRIVER SAFETY INFORMATION FALL 2017
In order to avoid conditions that put students and adults at risk, we continue to improve our traffic routines for drop-off and pick-up. Please follow the traffic procedures below to provide a safe, efficient drop-off and pick-up for all students and adults. Also, please be patient as all families learn and abide by the new routine. If everyone follows these directions, it will be smoother, faster and safer for all. When people try to do things that save them a minute or two, it usually costs other drivers time and is not safe.
DO NOT DROP OFF or PICK UP YOUR CHILD IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL or ANYWHERE ELSE ALONG THE DRIVEWAY EXCEPT THE WEST SIDE DROP OFF/PICK-UP ZONE.
Student Drop-Off: 8:10 – 8:30 am: POCS supervision begins at 7:50 am. Jack London student supervision begins at 8:10 am. Please do not drop off students before that time.
- Enter the far/west driveway and follow the driveway to the west drop-off zone. Pull into the drop-off/pickup area and pull all the way forward along the curb on the left side of the drive.
- Be ready for your student to exit (left) once you stop. Keep your child’s belongings in the car with him/her– not the trunk, etc. Please say good-byes and give any last minute instructions before you enter the drop-off zone so that traffic moves continuously and safely. Your child should exit from the curb side (left) of the vehicle.
- If you need to park and walk your student across the driveway, park in a stall on the west side of campus or drive all the way around campus to the east parking lot. Use the marked crosswalks and be cautious; please model safe pedestrian behavior for your children.
- It is very important to keep a continous one-way flow of traffic during drop-off and pick-up. If you need to park, be sure to continue in the direction of traffic flow when you exit. Please note that any time you park your car, you slow the flow of traffic and may create unsafe conditions when crossing with your child or when backing out to exit. Do not go against the traffic flow. It will only take you a minute longer, will save others time, and it will be much safer for everyone.
- Exit or enter the office parking lot through the east driveway only; circle around the campus in order to pull into parking into parking in the lot in front of school. Do not enter the front parking area from the west side. It will be blocked off.
- Exception: Drop-off after 8:30 – The gates are closed promptly at 8:30. Use the far/west driveway in order to drop off in front of the office. Please instruct students to exit the car on the sidewalk/office side.
Student Pick – up: 2:35 - 2:50 pm: Students will be waiting in designated areas by grade level for pick-up in the drop-off/pick-up zone on the west side of campus. Younger siblings will wait with older siblings in the area designated for the older sibling’s grade level.
- Please arrive between 2:30 – 2:35. If you have both a JL and POCS student, please wait until the POCS release time – 2:40 - so that all of your students are present.
- Enter the far/west driveway and pull up to the pick-up zone on the left side. Exit through the east driveway.
- Please pull into the marked zone and drive as far forward along the curb as possible, regardless of where you see your student. Students will see you and walk to the car where you pull forward, or adults will help to direct students. Your student will not be able to enter the car until your reach the yellow curb.
- Your child should enter from the curb side of the vehicle and keep his/her backpack and belongings with him/her. Putting items in the trunk or back delays the rest of the pick-up. Please work with your child to make this as smooth as possible so that traffic moves continuously and safely.
- Do not leave or park your car along the curb.
- If your child isn’t there when you arrive to pick him/her up and there are cars behind you, please continue to the east exit and circle again. He/she will probably be waiting when you get there the next time. If this issue persists, please discuss readiness with your students so that they understand your expectation that they are present and waiting the first time you pull up.
- If you park and walk across the driveway to get your student, please use marked crosswalks and be cautious. Your student may not cross the driveway without you. This includes if you park on the street. Please note that this delays the flow of traffic and can create unsafe conditions.
- If you have an emergency and are late, your student will be taken to wait in the office. If your student isn’t at the pick-up area, continue around to the office. If you are late enough that you notice your student in front of school when you arrive (after 2:50 pm), enter through the west driveway and pull up to the office.
- Please do not park to pick up your child behind the locked gate at the end of Francisco. The area is unsupervised and unsafe. If you walk to school from the west end of Francisco, please walk to campus to pick up your child.
- Please pick up students on time. We have traffic monitors, but do not provide after school care. Supervision ends at 2:50.
JL 11:30 K Dismissal & 12:40 Grades 1- 6 Dismissal
POCS 12:30 Dismissal
JL Grades 1-6: Please do not arrive before 12:40 or you will be in the way of POCS family pick-up and will be asked to circle the school.